HAPPY NEW YEAR
Here at Helen’s Haven, we take every chance to have new beginnings. In the world of gardening, everyday offers a new beginning; most, sadly, are not necessarily planned.
On New Year’s day, we have an opportunity to plan some resolutions and then hope for the best. As someone profound once said, “if you don’t have any goals, how do you know when you got there”, or some such talk. So I have goals for the garden…drumroll, please. Here are my I’m gonna’s:
10. I’m gonna stop waking up in the morning and going straight to the window to see if the boxwood hedge in the back connected during the night. The Best and Hardest Thing to Give Your Garden is Time
9. I’m gonna deadhead like I should.
8. I’m gonna grow more plants from seed.
7. I’m gonna sow poppy and larkspur seeds again, even though I know I will fail.
6. I’m gonna reduce even more lawn. Lawn Reform Coalition
5. I’m gonna add more native plantings to the garden. North Carolina Native Plant Society
4. I’m gonna take a series of monthly images at predetermined stops in the garden so I can slide show the beds annual pattern with monthly performance.
3. I’m gonna stop worrying about where my garden gnomes go. Six Places Your Garden Gnomes May Go
2. I’m gonna read plant labels and then I’m gonna factor 25% to whatever number they print. What do You Want to Know About a Plant?
1. I’m gonna kick zonal denial in the butt. Only plants with a zone wrapped around my zone 7b garden will be allowed in Helen’s Haven…unless it’s for the south side and I can’t help myself.
Helen Yoest is a garden writer and coach through her business Gardening with Confidence™
Follow Helen on Twitter @HelenYoest and her facebook friend’s page, Helen Yoest or Gardening With Confidence™ Face Book Fan Page.