I managed to fill 8 more cans of Castor Beans and Cannas. After that, I ran out of cans, but not energy. As such, I clipped more and hauled about 8 more can equivalents to the compost pile.
Planted some great plants given to me to test by the growers.
- 3 Proven Winners Hydrangea arbborescens Invincibelle™ Spirit. One went into the xeric Woodland Too bed, another in the Mixed Border and the third in the Red Bed.
- 1 Novalis Plants That Work™ Mahonia eurybracteata ‘Soft Caress’
- Camellia transnokoensis form Camellia Forest in the Red Bed
- Viburnum plicatum ‘Popcorn’ in the Mixed Border
- Illicium floridanum ‘Halley’s Comet’ in the Woodland Too bed.
I’m taking a chance on the ‘Soft Caress’ It is zoned for 7b and as you know, I like to wrap a zone around my plants. However, I had nice spot on the South side in the Secret garden. How there is enough water there for it.
Also taking a chance on the Illicium floridanum ‘Halley’s Comet’. That went in a xeric garden and it is a thirsty plant. However, I do have a water storage unit there to hand dip into if need be.
- Pulled Zinnia
- Cut back Lantana
- Cut back Salvia
- Cut back swamp sunflowers
- Cut back sweet autumn Clematis
- Cut back Joe Pye Weed
- Pruned roses
- Pulled some Virginia Creeper from the White Pine tree
- Admired the Hellebores planed in Woodland Too bed. They are finally filling
- Also planted a fern given to me by my friend Rita Mercer who is an expert in dry shade. It is a fern that can go into dry shade. Planted it in the Woodland Too bed, a xeric garden.
The kids had off Friday through Tuesday so we took a long weekend to DC.
- My dad’s grandkids. He died before any were born.
Helen Yoest is a garden writer and coach through her business Gardening With Confidence™
Follow Helen on Twitter @HelenYoest and her facebook friend’s page, Helen Yoest or Gardening With Confidence™ Face Book Fan Page.
Helen also serves on the board of advisors for the JC Raulston Arboretum